Of The International Biennial Of Painting Chisinau 2023
Under the patronage of Ministry of Culture of Republic of Moldova
National Art Museum of Moldova
Union of Fine Artists of Republic of Moldova
Art Centre AMPRENTE
Institute of Romanian Culture M.Eminescu, Chisinau
Culture Department of Chisinau City Hall
Moldova National Museum Complex, Iasi, Romania
Sturza Family Fund
Curator: Tudor Zbarnea, General Director of the National Art Museum Moldova
From May 12 to June 18, 2023 at the National Art Museum of Moldova will take place the 8th edition of the International Painting Biennial Chisinau 2023.
- - to showcase the evolution of painting within the last two years;
- - to present a large range of aesthetic approaches and means of visual expression: from traditional methods to modern technologies;
- - to give an appreciation to the state of modern art in Moldova and its place within the international context, thus, motivating the national phenomenon and stimulating the development of painting in its whole diversity;
- - to create favourable conditions for meetings and dialogues between professionals, followers of different artistic tendencies and trends from various countries.
II. Artists’ eligibility:
- - the contest is open for national and international artists engaged in painting, minimum 21 years old, graduates form Art Academies and Universities;
- - the applicant states on his/her own responsibility that he/she is the solely owner of the work(s) (Annex 1);
- - the Application Form (Annex 1) completed and duly signed by the author will serve as the Contract between the parties.
III. Works’ eligibility:
- - contestants are free to choose a subject matter of their preference;
- - submitted works must be technically and aesthetically proficient;
- - the author may participate in the contest with up to two (2) works made in the time frame of 2021-2023;
- - for the preliminary selection the author may present pictures of up to five (5) paitings made in the period between 2021-2023 (free of charge);
- - only works that did not participate in international contests are accepted;
- - the acceptable dimensions for paintings: one side – from 80 cm to 200 cm.
IV. Event calendar:
- The Application form may be submitted from January 1, 2023 until February 15, 2023 (free of charge)
- Preliminary selection results will be announced via e-mail - by February 20, 2023
- Delivery of the works to the exhibition gallery (at the premises of the National Art Museum of Moldova, see the mailing address below) – by April 1, 2023
- Judging – on April 07-08, 2023
- Exhibition – from May 12, 2023 to June 18, 2023
- Awarding the winners – on May 12, 2023 at the opening ceremony
- Delivery of the works back to the non-resident authors – in September 2023.
- All the timelines listed in this regulation are for your reference, as the timeframe depends on the actual developments of the project. The Organizing Committee will inform all the selected artists if there is some change that asks for your cooperation.
The jury consists of specialists in the field of fine arts, history of arts and art critics from Moldova and abroad. The jury selects the Laureates, determines the awardees, and has the write to influence upon winners’ price value.
VI. Prizes (amounts in MD Lei):
- Grand Prize – 50 000 Lei (aprox. 2400 euros)
- 1st prize – 40 000 Lei (aprox. 2000 euros)
- 2nd prize – 30 000 Lei (aprox. 1450 euros)
- 3rd prize – 25 000 Lei (aprox. 1200 euros)
- Institute of Romanian Culture M.Eminescu, Chisinau prize – 35 000 Lei (aprox. 1700 euros)
- Chisinau City Hall prize – 30 000 Lei (aprx. 1450 euros)
- Sturza Family Fund prize – 30 000 Lei (aprox. 1450 euros)
- The trophy of the National Art Museum of Moldova Artmuseum
- Three Honourable Diplomas of the Ministry of Culture of Republic of Moldova
- And other prizes and diplomas will be awarded.
The possessor of the trophy of the National Art Museum of Moldova Artmuseum will be invited to have a personal exhibition at the National Art Museum of Moldova (http:// www.mnam.md)
The following exhibition will be organized:
a selection 80 works - in Moldova National Museum Complex, Iasi, Romania, from June to July, 2023 (http://www.palatulculturii.ro/museums.htm).
The laureates will be invited for a 3 (three) night stay to Chisinau to participate at the awarding ceremony. The organizers will ensure the accommodation of the laureates.
The prizes will be granted on May 12, 2023 at the opening ceremony of the Biennial.
- - for all non-resident of Republic of Moldova participants – 120 Euros (that covers the costs of: one catalogue of Biennial and the shipping back to the author, providing the total package weight does not exceed 12 kg);
- - the fee is obligatory and irrevocable.
VIII. General provisions:
- The organizers have the right:
- - to use the pictures of the works on TV, press, Internet, catalogues, leaflets, movies and on different media means;
- - to use the personal information, sent by the artist to the organizers of Biennial;
- Awarded works will be transferred in the following collections:
- - the National Art Museum of Moldova – the Grand, the 1st, the 2nd and the 3rd prizes (http://www.mnam.md/);
- - the Institute of Romanian Culture M.Eminescu, Chisinau – the work awarded with the Institute’s Prize (http://www.icr.ro/chisinau/);
- - Chisinau City Hall Art Gallery – the work awarded with the City Hall's Prize;
- - Sturza Family Fund - the work awarded with the Fund’s Prize (http://sturza.md).
- Preliminary selection will be made considering the information from the Application Forms of the candidates sent by e-mail or any other media means with coloured pictures of the works, their description and author’s photo, attached, starting from January 1, 2023.
The decision of the working group is communicated in time; the decision is not commented, is incontestable and the documents are not returned.
- The following authors are accepted for the contest:
- - the artist who got an official invitation from the organizers with the indication of the title(s) of the work(s) that passed the preliminary selection;
- - who assured the in time delivery of the work(s) selected by the organizers;
- - and who has paid the participation fee prior the delivery of the work(s).
- The participation fee should be paid to the bank account of the Organizers. The bank account’s details will be provided by an official letter sent to each invited participant after February 20, 2023.
- Upon fulfilment of all the provisions of paragraph 4, Chapter VIII the author becomes participant in the contest.
- Failure to comply with at least one of the provisions of paragraph 4, Chapter VIII implies the automatic exclusion of the candidate from the contest and his/her works are not displayed.
- In the contest do not participate:
- - Special guests;
- - Members of the Jury;
- - Members of the organizational committee;
- - Works that have been delivered to the organizers after April 01, 2023.
- Honourable guests participating in the exhibition may display works made before 2021.
- Organizers will publish the Catalogue of the exhibition in which every participant will be presented with one work (in accordance with the decision of the working group) and the personal participant's
information according to the Application form.
- Each participant of the contest will get a copy of the Biennial Catalogue.
IX. Requirements regarding works' transportation:
- The weight of the packaged work(s) should not exceed 12 kg.
- The package should be good for recurring use.
- If the work is transported in a roll, the author should pay for the stretcher.
- The transportation of the work under glass and with fragile frames is not permitted.
- The work(s) transportation costs:
- - for the residents of Republic of Moldova - are at the author’s expense;
- - for the non-residents – the delivery cost is at the autor’s expense, but shipping back costs - providing the package weight does not exceed 12 kg - are included in the participation fee and are paid by the organizing party.
- The author decides by him/herself upon insurance of the work(s) during the transportation.
- The Organizers are not responsible for any delay in transportation or damage during transportation.
- The works of the participants from abroad will be kept no more than 60 days after last event.
The Application form of the participant (Annex 1), colour images of max. five (5) works (.jpg, 300 dpi format) (Annex 2) and the photo of the author (.jpg) for the catalogue (Annex 3) should be sent mentioning "BIP Chisinau-2023" in the subject line:
via e-mail to: email@example.com
or by post to:
- National Art Museum of Moldova
- 31 August, 1989 str., nr. 115
- Chisinau, MD-2012
- Republic of Moldova
For more information, please access:
Application form (Annex 1)
Herein I declare that I am the sole author of the works on which I have unlimited rights unaffected by any third party. I give my consent to the utilizing of my personal data and my artworks by the organizers of the contest in the way specified in the Rules Of The International Biennial of Painting Chisinau 2023. (According to the Law Nr.133/ 08.07.2011 on personal data protection).
Short biographical information
Date of birth:
Works in public collections (in details):
Works in private collections (only countries):
Annex 2. Colour pictures of max. five (5) works in (.jpg), 300 dpi format. Every image should be provided with a description: the author’s name, title, year, sizes and technique.
Annex 3. The photo of the author in (.jpg) format for the catalogue.